Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Italian Roast - It's A Grind Coffee House - San Diego, California

Preparation:    Cuisinart Drip

Scores:  Scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being excellent

Aroma:   8
Balance:  6
Flavor:   6
Smoothness: 8

Likes:
     Dark
     Mild
     Smooth

Dislikes:
     Flavor
     Smokey
     Ashy

Summary:  I really like this little coffee house located off Market Street in downtown San Diego. It had a fun atmosphere and friendly vibe.  I ordered their pre-brewed coffee called Octane and enjoyed its dark bold flavor.  After a few sips I added cream and sugar.  (It was strong!) The staff was friendly and helpful.  (I asked a lot of questions and while they didn't know much about the beans they sell, they eventually found some information and brought it over to me.  The young man smiled and told me that I had to give it back.)  Anyway, on to the Italian beans I bought and brewed......

The information I was given for the Italian Roast described the beans as ultimate in a dark roast and that they are a blend of Indonesian, Central and South American coffees.  They go on to say that the Italian Roast has a distinct Smokey overtone and deep ebony color.  I agree with that, but thought that although I tasted smokey and ashy tones, no other flavors popped out at me. At first taste there was promise, but then the coffee fell flat immediately on my palate.   It was a lackluster finish, and quite frankly, boring.  I then ate some lightly salted mixed nuts with the coffee and it greatly improved my tasting experience.  The nuts added some much needed punch and flavor to balance out the ending weakness this coffee exhibited.


Overall score:   6

2 comments:

  1. I was in San Diego recently but I didn't know where this coffee shop was. It would be nice if you could provide a link to some of the coffee shops you visit so that your readers could either visit their site or do more research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Dark roast coffee

    ReplyDelete