Friday, January 21, 2011

What I Found Out About Galapagos Coffee

I did a little research on Galapagos coffee.  This is a very brief summary just intended to educate you and not bore you.  I was interested in finding out more about this coffee because of my tasting this week.  The Galapagos coffee was very, very unusual and an unexpected tasting experience. 

French explorers planted Arabica coffee trees in 1869 on the Galapagos Islands of Ecuador.  They were soon abandoned for almost one hundred years.  Then in 1990 harvesting this Arabica coffee was resumed.  These coffee trees are now protected in a national park where the trees are grown free of pesticides and fertilizers.  They are also grown at a lower elevation than most coffees and this makes the beans softer and less acidic than those grown at higher altitudes.

This coffee is light roasted and various websites boast that the flavor is a "true taste experience with an intense and impressive aftertaste".  Hmmmm.......my taste buds weren't kidding me!!!

In summary,  I am really glad to have sampled true Galapagos coffee beans (thank you, Danny)  and  I really enjoyed learning how unique they are.  The truth is that I didn't really like them that much.  Maybe as time goes on I will acquire a more sophisticated palate.   Until then.......Danny -  the next cup is for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment