Saturday, April 2, 2011

GULP! Flavored Coffee Beans?



Warning!  After reading this post you may never want to drink coffee made with flavored coffee beans again.  I know I am biased, but after my research I have decided that a flavored coffee bean will never touch my discriminating lips!  Or make its way into my grocery buggy!

There are very few flavored coffee beans that are flavored with natural flavors.  Alert!  Yes, that means that a lot of chemicals are a part of the flavoring process.  To be exact, have you heard of...... 2, 4-Dimethyl-5-acetylthiazole or  2,5-Dimethylpyrazine?  These particular chemicals are used to add an earthy, peanut flavor to your coffee bean.  Have you heard of  Ethyl Alcohol, Dimethylamine-D1, Formamidiniumacetate, Propylene Glycol, alpha Methyl Benzyl Alcohol, and Heliotropin?  That is one yummy concoction to flavor a coffee bean to taste like Irish Creme!  If that doesn't get your salivary glands working overtime then maybe realizing that coffee flavors may require up to 80 different compounds to achieve a certain flavor, will.  It is thought that flavoring beans will also extend the shelf life by disquising oxidation and the aging process. I learned that any taste can be reproduced. One site boasts that the ideal flavor should mask some of the harsh notes of the coffee.  My question is......where did that coffee bean your masking come from??  (Hmmm........I just read that some manufacturers will use the cheapest beans possible. The worst case scenario I read about said floor sweepings and blown roasts were used)  Alright, lets move on.  It's time for a real cuppa Joe!






2 comments:

  1. I rather disagree, flavoured coffee brings colour to our lives on a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... that's really kind of terrifying. Thanks for posting about this. I'm so glad that I don't often drink flavored coffee now that I'm aware of how it's created. Mind you, there are scary-sounding chemicals in an awful lot of the processed foods we consume these days. It's very hard to get away from them, and very hard to find out what they actually are and what they might be doing to your body. Anyhow... I digress! I must say that your blog posts are always so stimulating... like a nice cup of coffee, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete